Associate Director, Research & Advocacy
Position: Associate Director, Research & Advocacy
Department: MISSION DELIVERY
Status: Full time, Exempt
Location: Remote (YSC National Office)
Start Date: November 1, 2018
Based in New York City with staff across the United States and a national volunteer corps, Young Survival Coalition (YSC) is the premier global organization dedicated to the critical issues unique to young women diagnosed with breast cancer. YSC offers resources, connections and outreach so women feel supported, empowered and hopeful during one of the most challenging experiences of their lives.
To create, plan, and facilitate new research and advocacy directives, programs and initiatives at YSC. To ensure that YSC educational materials are accurate and current.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Create, plan and facilitate strategies to disseminate Research Agenda and Work: Promote Research Think Tank work and share knowledge gained through publications, abstracts and presentations; engage with researchers, advocates and healthcare providers to support and promote our Research Agenda; possible representation of organization at conferences.
- Create, plan, and facilitate Science Research programming at YSC: Remain current with and aware of medical updates and research in the field of breast cancer, share insight with constituents and advise them of ongoing clinical trial opportunities; collaborate with Marketing & Communications to share knowledge through YSC social media.
- Create, plan, and facilitate Clinical Trials programming at YSC: Remain current with ongoing clinical trials which could impact YSC constituents, share information and educate about clinical trials in collaboration with Marketing & Communications through YSC social media.
- Create, plan and facilitate advocacy programming.
- Manage the YSC RISE advocates program.
- Participate in Educated Advocacy Opportunities: Ensure that YSC is represented in advocacy opportunities such as Project LEAD, DOD grant review, as advocates on research studies and others which may arise.
- Educational Materials Updating and Evaluation: Ensure that YSC’s Navigator series and other educational materials are up-to-date and accurate.
- When applicable, manage grants when assigned as lead.
- Update any research or advocacy-related educational materials or web content.
- Monitor pending, pertinent legislation.
- Represent YSC as a “trusted voice” in a variety of ways (e.g. boards, committees)
- Assist in planning and executing YSC’s annual Summit. Attendance required.
- Manage all aspects of the pre-Summit Healthcare Provider continuing education program and attend as the program organizer.
- Co-Lead the Council of Advisors work groups for Research and Legislation.
- Provide guidance and direction to the Mission Delivery and Marketing & Communications teams on research news, updates, and general research and advocacy questions.
- Works regularly with multiple key stakeholders internally and externally.
- Travels regularly, to internal and external conferences.
- Breast Cancer Research/Science Background
- Previous experience as a grant reviewer
- College degree as well as advanced/master’s degree in relevant area (e.g. Juris Doctor, Masters in Biology, etc.)
- Project LEAD graduate
- Experience with lobbying and advocacy work
- Legal background is a plus: training in speaking, negotiating, critical analysis and writing
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Initiative and innovation
- Planning and Organization
- Project Management
- Strategic Thinking
- Ability to review/summarize data and information
- Excellent Interpersonal skills
How to Apply
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. Young Survival Coalition is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send your resume and a thoughtful cover letter, including salary requirements, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications for this position and stating how you heard about this opportunity to: email@example.com with the subject line “Associate Director, Research & Advocacy” in the subject line.
No phone calls please. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Due to the high volume of submissions, YSC will contact only candidates invited to interview. Applications without salary requirements will not be considered. Thank you for your interest.