Program Events Manager
Position: Program Events Manager
Reports to: Director, Community Education
Status: Full time, Exempt
Salary: $50-55,000/year plus benefits
Start Date: December 1, 2022
Who is YSC?
Young Survival Coalition (YSC) is the premier organization dedicated to the unique issues of young adults affected by breast cancer. YSC works with survivors, co-survivors and the medical, research, advocacy and legislative communities to increase the quality and quantity of life for those diagnosed with breast cancer ages 40 and under. YSC offers resources, connections and support so young adults feel empowered and hopeful during one of the most challenging experiences of their lives. We believe no young adult should be left to face breast cancer alone. For more information visit: www.youngsurvival.org.
What are we looking for?
YSC seeks a highly motivated, creative individual to plan and implement YSC’s programmatic events throughout the year (in-person and virtual). The candidate will be a detail-oriented person, who excels at multitasking and can take on significant responsibilities -- working both independently and as part of our team. The candidate must be willing to occasionally travel, as travel is required to meet the responsibilities of the position.
While event management is the core part of this position, interest and experience in relevant programmatic work is a plus. Understanding YSC’s mission and being able to contribute to the content and agenda for these events is extremely helpful. This full-time role is remote and can be based anywhere in the United States. The majority of YSC employees work Eastern Time Zone hours. Candidates for this position do not have to physically be located in the Eastern Time Zone, but may be required to adjust their schedule to Eastern Time during work hours.
What will you be doing?
Coordinate and implement multiple aspects of YSC’s programmatic events. This includes specific tasks such as:
- Work plan and timeline creation/management
- Budget adherence
- Assistance in agenda development, speaker recruitment and content creation
- Site selection processes including RFPs, vendor recommendations, contract management and vendor relations
- Pre-meeting and onsite logistics (registration, vendors, menus, exhibitors, staff and volunteers)
- Production and exhibit management
- Speaker and staff travel, logistics and communications
- Volunteer management
- Travel grant reimbursement process
- Oversee reporting and presentation of event metrics (familiarity with Salesforce is a plus)
You will also manage big-picture responsibilities:
- Creatively problem-solve and execute plans based upon event programming and participant needs
- Liaise with various departments at YSC to ensure seamless coordination of all event components
- Keep all relevant departments and senior staff up to date on registration and other event details as they progress
You will also manage big-picture responsibilities:
- YSC’s Summit (in-person and virtual)
- YSC’s Wellness Retreat
- YSC’s Legacy Retreat for Young Adults Living with Metastatic Breast Cancer
- YSC’s Tour de Pink Ride
- Occasional assistance in planning other virtual events, like educational livestreams
Qualifications: What are we looking for?
3+ years experience in meeting/event planning and management including large (500+ attendees) conferences:
- Exceptional event skills and management
- Demonstrated negotiating skills and experience managing vendor relationships
- Ability to create, implement and track budget expenses
- Strong problem-solving ability and confidence to address potential problems as they arise
- Track record of successful project plans and timeline implementation
- Experience working with various stakeholders (speakers, attendees, vendors, volunteers, staff)
- Strong organizational and planning skills to coordinate the actions of multiple parties
- Commitment to excellent customer/member service
- High level of professionalism and verbal/written communication
- Bonus – If you have experience in non-profit programming, cancer/breast cancer content or women’s health, this is definitely a perk!
The person in this position will excel with the following traits:
- Grit - You have the ability to keep working toward a goal, overcoming challenges and sticking with it even when it’s hard
- Resourceful - You know how and where to get answers. You are solutions-oriented and are comfortable working cross-departmentally, as well as externally
- Organized & Productive – You are adept at planning your day and not letting distractions keep you from meeting your goals. You are detail-oriented and deadline-driven
- Reliable – You can work effectively with minimal supervision, but you also know when to ask for help
- Communication – You have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Collaborative – You believe that creative work reaches its fullest potential with the collaboration of a smart and dedicated team and also feel comfortable taking the lead
- Flexible – You are comfortable working with competing priorities; you understand that event priorities change rapidly and often involve multiple parties; you can pivot and adapt while also meeting event goals and timelines
- Inclusive – You can work effectively with people regardless of their age, gender, race, sexual orientation, ethnicity, political affinity or job type—or any other factor that makes us unique!
- Sense of Humor – You don’t take yourself too seriously, and you enjoy a good laugh with coworkers
- Committed – You believe in YSC’s mission and will keep that in the forefront of your work
Why work at YSC?
- YSC offers a competitive benefits package that includes 100% of medical benefits for employees paid by the organization
- Generous paid holidays and paid time off
- Matched retirement benefits contributions after 12 months of full-time employment
- Collaborative team members dedicated to the mission of serving the young breast cancer community and to supporting each other in our intersecting work
The salary for this position is $50-55,000/year, taking into account geographic location and years of experience. Young Survival Coalition is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
Please send your resume and a thoughtful cover letter, including salary requirements, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications for this position and stating how you heard about this opportunity to: HR@youngsurvival.org with "Program Events Manager" in the subject line.
No phone calls please. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Due to the high volume of submissions, YSC will contact only candidates invited to interview. Applications without salary requirements in their cover letter will not be considered. Thank you for your interest.
Please note that all YSC employees are now required to complete their COVID-19 vaccine series by date of hire.