Director of Philanthropy
Position: Director of Philanthropy
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Established in 1998, Young Survival Coalition (YSC) is the largest nonprofit dedicated exclusively to young adults diagnosed with breast cancer age 40 and under and their co-survivor support networks. Through educational resources and programming, annual conferences, and local and online support networks, YSC ensures no young adult faces breast cancer alone.
This is a unique opportunity to join a senior team within a global nonprofit that exists to serve young adults affected by breast cancer. This position will be responsible for charting a new course to raise funds to ensure YSC is successful in reaching its core constituency.
The Director of Philanthropy will be responsible for the design and implementation of new fundraising strategies and donor prospecting. The ideal candidate is someone who thrives in the competitive and challenging fundraising landscape that nonprofits exist in today. They will have the ability to create and execute immediate plans while understanding and adjusting to meet long-term goals. They will be able to identify, cultivate and solicit corporate, foundation, and major donors. They will provide a clear vision and serve as a champion for fundraising and its impact at YSC.
The Director of Philanthropy is responsible for fostering a culture of philanthropy within the organization. They plan, coordinate, and are responsible for implementation of new strategies to pivot the organization’s donor base. They are responsible for the appropriate systems to fund development including but not limited to donor management, prospecting research and cultivation, gift processing and recognition.
The ideal candidate will have a strong work ethic with a willingness to "roll up their sleeves" and make “it happen”, a heart for social impact work, an ability to work productively at a 100% remote organization, and a great sense of humor.
- Responsible for supervision of all fundraising programs and activities at YSC and ensures the entire organization meets revenue goals through proactive fundraising
- Maintain a leadership role in the identification, cultivation, and solicitation of individual, corporate and foundation contributions
- Responsible for cultivating and soliciting major individual donors and working with the Chief Executive Officer and Chief Program Officer as appropriate
- Identifying, writing and reporting on grant proposals
- Lead new major individual, foundation and corporate donor prospecting
- Act as a visible spokesperson and advocate for YSC’s mission and programs in the funding community
- Partner with the CEO to create and maintain annual and long-term strategic development plans
- Partner with senior staff to raise restricted multi-year donations to support strategic priorities
- Help develop a balanced funding mix of donor sources and solicitation programs tailored to the needs of the organization that will enable it to attract, retain and motivate donors and fundraising volunteers
- Establish fundraising goals , monitor results and help the CEO evaluate the effectiveness of the organization’s fundraising activities
- Ensure that philanthropy and fund development are carried out in keeping with the YSC’s values, mission, and strategic plan
- Participate in Board of Directors meetings to present fundraising results and proactive fundraising strategy
- Ensure compliance with all relevant regulations and laws, maintain fundraising accountability standards to donors and ensures compliance with code of ethical principles and standards of professional conduct for fundraising executives
- Maintain accountability and compliance standards for donors and funding sources
- Ability to travel at minimum 6-10 times per year with heavy travel in September/October (when safe to travel again)
- Demonstrate a track record of success in fundraising with increasing responsibility and in making strategic decisions to shape the fundraising programs of an organization
- Able to handle detailed, complex concepts and problems and make rapid decisions regarding management and development matters
- Preferred experience soliciting/obtaining six figure gifts
- Proven ability to plan and meet deadlines
- Demonstrate initiative and experience as a team leader
- Adherence to the highest ethical standards in management, governance, and fund development
- Convey a professional and positive image and attitude regarding the organization and the nonprofit sector
- Demonstrate commitment to continued professional growth and development
- Comprehensive management skills and experience are required including but not limited to: short and long-term planning, evaluation, excellent oral and written communication skills, marketing and financial management, and organizational behavior and development
- Knowledge and experience in the following areas is required: the nature and dimensions of philanthropy, motivations for giving and volunteering, research and cultivation practices, standard fundraising techniques including face-to-face solicitation, proposal writing, special events and direct mail, and new donor research
- Bachelor’s Degree along with 10 years fundraising experience in a professional position. Equivalent professional experience could be considered.
- Experience with Salesforce and/or fundraising database
How to Apply
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. Young Survival Coalition is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send your resume and a thoughtful cover letter, including salary requirements, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications for this position and stating how you heard about this opportunity to: HR@youngsurvival.org with "Director of Philanthropy" in the subject line
No phone calls please. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Due to the high volume of submissions, YSC will contact only candidates invited to interview. Applications without salary requirements will not be considered. Thank you for your interest.