Director of Development
Position: Director of Development
Location: Remote, must be near a major airport
Reports to: CEO
Start Date: April 20, 2020
Based in New York City with staff across the United States and a national volunteer corps, Young Survival Coalition (YSC) is the premier global organization dedicated to the critical issues unique to young adults diagnosed with breast cancer. YSC offers resources, connections and outreach so young adults feel supported, empowered and hopeful during one of the most challenging experiences of their lives.
The Director of Development is responsible for fostering a culture of philanthropy within the organization. They assure that the organization’s culture, systems, and procedures all support fundraising. Plans, coordinates, and responsible for implementation of strategies to develop donors and contributions to support the organization. Is responsible for the development and maintenance of appropriate systems to fund development including but not limited to donor management, prospecting research and cultivation, gift processing and recognition. Maintains accountability and compliance standards for donors and funding sources.
The Director of Development will be responsible for the design and implementation of a development strategy for growing revenue, improving donor retention, and deepening relationships with supporters. The ideal candidate is a leader that can motivate a team to accomplish revenue goals. They will have the ability to execute immediate plans while understanding and adjusting to meet long-term goals. They will be comfortable working with C-level executives inside and outside the organization. They will be able to leverage corporate, industry, foundation, and major donors to achieve revenue goals. They will provide a clear vision and serve as a champion for fundraising and its impact at YSC.
- Responsible for supervision of all fundraising programs and activities at YSC, and ensures the entire organization meets revenue goals through proactive fundraising
- Responsible for supervision of the overall Development Department revenue and expense budget and quarterly reforecast
- Provide leadership and guidance to each member of the Development team at YSC to ensure individual’s goals are met. This includes directly managing at least 3 Development team members including an industry partners/foundations manager, corporate partners manager, and individual/peer-to-peer events manager.
- Maintain a leadership role in the identification, cultivation, and solicitation of individual, corporate and foundation contributions
- Responsible for cultivating and soliciting major individual donors, working with the CEO, Chief Program Officer (CPO), senior mission staff & development staff as appropriate
- Review, edit, and provide feedback on grant proposals
- Lead a proactive fundraising team by maintaining a supportive environment focused on collaboration, strategy and teamwork
- Ensure timely communication between the mission delivery team and development team to ensure restricted fundraising is on target with YSC’s funding priorities/activities
- Support and engage in new donor prospecting for the entire development team
- Develop and maintain relationships with the philanthropic community, the breast cancer community, donors, sponsors, board members and volunteers
- Act as a visible spokesperson and advocate for YSC’s mission and programs in the funding community
- Partner with the CEO to create and maintain annual and long-term strategic development plans
- Partner with senior mission staff to raise restricted multi-year donations to support the strategic plan
- Help develop a balanced funding mix of donor sources and solicitation programs tailored to the needs of the organization that will enable it to attract, retain and motivate donors and fundraising volunteers
- Establish fundraising goals , monitor results and help the CEO evaluate the effectiveness of the organization’s fundraising activities
- Ensure that philanthropy and fund development are carried out in keeping with YSC’s values, mission, and strategic plan
- Participate in Board of Directors meetings to present fundraising results and proactive fundraising strategy
- Ensure compliance with all relevant regulations and laws, maintain fundraising accountability standards to donors and ensure compliance with code of ethical principles and standards of professional conduct for fundraising executives
- Ability to travel at minimum 6-10 times per year with heavy travel in September/October
- Able to handle detailed, complex concepts and problems and make rapid decisions regarding management and development matters
- Demonstrate a track record of success in fundraising with increasing responsibility and in making strategic decisions to shape the fundraising programs of an organization
- Preferred: Experience soliciting/obtaining six and seven figure gifts
- Proven ability to plan and meet deadlines
- Demonstrate initiative and experience as a team leader
- Adhere to the highest ethical standards in management, governance, and fund development
- Convey a professional and positive image and attitude regarding the organization and the social-profit sector
- Demonstrate commitment to continued professional growth and development
Comprehensive management skills and experience are required including but not limited to:
- Short and long-term planning
- Directing and motivating staff
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Marketing and financial management
- Organizational behavior and development
Knowledge and experience in the following areas is required:
- The nature and dimensions of philanthropy and ethics
- Motivations for giving and volunteering
- Research and cultivation practices
- Standard fundraising techniques including face-to-face solicitation, proposal writing, special events and direct mail
- New donor research
- The individual is also expected to have demonstrated experience and confidence in asking people to contribute time and money.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Communications or related field required along with 10 years fundraising experience in a professional position. Equivalent professional experience could be considered.
- 5 years of experience in a leadership role required
- Preferred: Masters degree or CFRE
- Excellent communication skills are required, as this individual will be directly managing remote employees (not all individuals work in YSC office locations)
- Experience with Salesforce and/or fundraising database
How to Apply
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. Young Survival Coalition is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send your resume and a thoughtful cover letter, including salary requirements, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications for this position and stating how you heard about this opportunity to: email@example.com with the subject line "Director of Development" in the subject line.
No phone calls please. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Due to the high volume of submissions, YSC will contact only candidates invited to interview. Applications without salary requirements will not be considered. Thank you for your interest.