Associate Director, Research & Advocacy
Position: Associate Director, Research & Advocacy
Department: MISSION DELIVERY
Status: Full time, Exempt
Location: Remote (YSC National Office)
Start Date: September 1, 2019
Based in New York City with staff across the United States and a national volunteer corps, Young Survival Coalition (YSC) is the premier global organization dedicated to the critical issues unique to young adults diagnosed with breast cancer. YSC offers resources, connections and outreach so young adults feel supported, empowered and hopeful during one of the most challenging experiences of their lives.
To serve as a resource within YSC and for YSC’s constituents regarding breast cancer and breast cancer research. To create, plan, and facilitate new research and advocacy directives, programs and initiatives at YSC. To ensure that YSC educational materials are accurate and current. To manage the RISE advocacy program. To represent YSC in interactions with partner organizations and through attending conferences/meetings.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Research Agenda: develop ongoing partnerships with universities and researchers; promote Research Think Tank work and share knowledge gained through publications, abstracts and presentations; engage with researchers, advocates and healthcare providers to support and promote our Research Agenda; possible representation of organization at conferences.
- Knowledge Resource: serve as a resource within YSC and for constituents of YSC regarding breast cancer and breast cancer research: remain current with and aware of medical updates and research in the field of breast cancer; collaborate with Development, Mission Delivery and Marketing & Communications teams on all YSC initiatives including the YSC Summit; share insight with constituents through ongoing collaboration with Marketing & Communications.
- RISE Advocate Program: manage the YSC RISE advocates program: create, plan and facilitate advocacy programming and education; plan for upcoming RISE advocacy class including application and selection process; recruit individuals to YSC’s RISE Legacy program; manage requests from researchers for advocate participation; track the work of advocates.
- Educated Advocacy Opportunities: ensure that YSC is represented in advocacy opportunities such as Project LEAD, DOD grant review, as advocates on research studies and others which may arise.
- Educational Materials: ensure that YSC’s Navigator series and other educational materials are up-to-date and accurate; update any research or advocacy-related educational materials or web content.
- Legislative Advocacy: manage legislative advocacy initiatives: monitor pending, pertinent legislation; manage requests from partner organizations to support legislative initiatives.
- Represent YSC as a “trusted voice” in a variety of ways; Represent YSC in interactions with multiple partner organizations and serve on the boards or committees of partner organizations.
- Lead the Council of Advisors work groups for Research and Legislation.
- Work regularly with multiple key stakeholders internally and externally.
- Travel regularly, to meetings and conferences.
- Substantial experience in breast cancer advocacy
- College degree; preference for an advanced/master’s degree in a relevant area
- Background in science and research or Project LEAD graduates
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; critical analysis skills
- Oriented to initiative and innovation
- Project management, planning and organization skills; team player
- Excellent interpersonal skills, professionalism and diplomacy
How to Apply
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. Young Survival Coalition is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send your resume and a thoughtful cover letter, including salary requirements, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications for this position and stating how you heard about this opportunity to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Associate Director, Research & Advocacy” in the subject line.
No phone calls please. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Due to the high volume of submissions, YSC will contact only candidates invited to interview. Applications without salary requirements will not be considered. Thank you for your interest.