Associate Director, Finance
Position: Associate Director, Finance
Status: Full time, Exempt
Location: New York City (YSC Headquarters Office)
Start Date: September 16, 2019
Based in New York City with staff across the United States and a national volunteer corps, Young Survival Coalition (YSC) is the premier global organization dedicated to the critical issues unique to young adults diagnosed with breast cancer. YSC offers resources, connections and outreach so young adults feel supported, empowered and hopeful during one of the most challenging experiences of their lives.
The position of Associate Director of Finance will be responsible for managing YSC’s finance processes and procedures. This includes accounting, budgeting and quarterly reforecasts, finance strategy, and Human Resource execution. The Associate Director of Finance is a member of a seven-person operations team and will interface with the Board of Directors and drive the development and execution of YSC’s strategic financial objectives.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Oversee the development of the annual organizational budget and quarterly forecasts, working closely with leadership across the organization.
- Manage the work of the 3rd party accounting firm: monitor cash disbursements and receipts, reconcile bank and payroll accounts, monitor the general ledger, review journal entries and trial balances, cash availability, and investment activity on an ongoing basis.
- Complete monthly financial reconciliations in coordination with the accountants. Review and approve all workpapers, journal entries, and financial statements on a monthly basis.
- Maintain relationships with YSC’s banks and lenders.
- Monitor bank balances, cash flow, and draws on YSC’s line of credit.
- Liaise with the Associate Director of Operations to maintain all Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable systems.
- Lead the annual audit process, ensure appropriate engagement from staff across the organization.
- Lead the preparation of the form 990 and applicable state fillings. Ensure compliance with all laws and regulations.
- Develop and oversee internal controls and accounting policies in accordance with GAAP and IRS regulations for 501(c)(3) organizations. Maintain the accounting manual.
- Liaise with the Board Executive, Financial, and Audit committees to ensure alignment at all levels.
- Deliver clear and accurate financial reports, provide analysis of financial data and trends, and make recommendations to the CEO and Board of Directors.
- Provide training and support in financial management to staff across the organization.
- Interface with the Development Team to ensure strategic alignment.
- Provide financial data and budget narratives for proposals and donor reports.
- Manage the documentation and release of restricted revenue.
- Management of two direct reports: Operations Associate focused on AR processing and donor acknowledgment process.
- Management of an Operations Associate responsible for all employee record keeping; the employee handbook; all staff meetings, payroll processing, benefit management and employee awards.
- Oversees and processes payroll, time off reporting, disability, unemployment, state tax registrations, 401K plan and compliance as it pertains to each.
- Management of Extensis and ADP 401k relationships.
- Annual benefits analysis and presentation of financial impacts.
- Proven success in building, documenting, and maintaining strong financial systems.
- Advanced analytical and quantitative skills and an excellent attention to detail.
- Must be curious and investigative, and willing to challenge the status quo.
- Demonstrable leadership, managerial, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills with the ability to translate complex data and financial concepts to a variety of stakeholders including staff, the Board of Directors, and external audiences.
- Proven ability to navigate multiple projects with competing and shifting deadlines. Must be flexible, comfortable with ambiguity, and able to prioritize work and drive projects to completion.
- Must be resourceful and able to troubleshoot and learn new systems quickly, with confidence.
- Minimum of 5 years of progressive experience in nonprofit financial management. Strong preference for experience in a small but established organization.
- Bachelor’s degree is required with preference given to those with higher education in a related field.
- Must have thorough knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles as well as federal and local regulations on 501(c)(3) organizations.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel is required.
- Experience with Salesforce (preferably NPSP) and experience with Sage’s Intacct accounting software would be beneficial.
How to Apply
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. Young Survival Coalition is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send your resume and a thoughtful cover letter, including salary requirements, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications for this position and stating how you heard about this opportunity to: email@example.com with the subject line “Associate Director, Finance” in the subject line.
No phone calls please. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Due to the high volume of submissions, YSC will contact only candidates invited to interview. Applications without salary requirements will not be considered. Thank you for your interest.