What questions should I ask my surgeon before my surgery?
- What kind of surgery do you recommend for me and why?
- How much of my breast will be removed?
- Will I be able to have breast reconstruction?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of having reconstruction at the time of my initial surgery?
- Will lymph nodes need to be removed?
- Am I a candidate for a sentinel lymph node biopsy?
- How many times have you performed this procedure?
- Am I a candidate for chemotherapy before my surgery (called 'neo-adjuvant chemotherapy')?
- What do I need to do to prepare for my surgery?
- Should I meet with a plastic surgeon before the surgery to discuss reconstruction?
- Will I have a local or general anesthetic?
- Where will the scars be and what will they look like?
- What side effects should I report to you?
- Will I need to stay overnight in the hospital?
- What kind of follow-up care will I need?
- How long will I need to plan to miss work or limit other daily activities?