Questions to Ask
- When can I get a prosthesis?
- Will it be covered by my insurance?
- Am I a candidate for reconstructive surgery?
- What are the types of surgery currently available?
- Which are possibilities for me?
- Which would you recommend and why?
- What are the costs of reconstructive surgery, and will my insurance cover them?
- Will my breasts look relatively the same? Will they be symmetrical?
- Will I regain sensation in my breasts? Will they feel the same as before surgery?
- How much experience do you have performing this type of reconstruction?
- Are there studies about women's satisfaction with this type of surgery?
- Am I a candidate for immediate reconstruction? Why or why not?
- What are the possible complications?
- How will this affect my other treatments, i.e. chemotherapy or radiation?
- How many surgeries will I need?
- How long is the surgery, hospital stay and recovery period for my type of reconstruction?
- How will the reconstructed breast respond to aging and/or weight gain/loss?
- What are the latest and most innovative technologies available in reconstruction?
- Do you have materials that I can take home and read before I make a decision?
- Do you have pictures of results from previous surgeries you've done that I could look at?
- How can I talk with other women who have already had this type of reconstruction?